Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bertini


The main reason for staying in Rosario is to visit Bertini no till seeders. I've been wanting to go zero till with discs for years but I haven't been able to find one that I think will do the job at home. A friend put me onto this place and senior Bertini showed me around and explained the whole system. One of the biggest innovations is the plates holding down the stubble so the discs cut it and not hair pin the stubble. The other is the parallelogram placing the weight over the centre of the disc forcing it down while cultivating a seed bed with the front coulter at depth while place the seed with great accuracy. If you've made it this far reading this you will understand what I'm saying. I love the system but the only thing I don't like are the seed boxes on the top, but again it's all part of the system because you need the weight to keep the disc in the ground. I want one, lets hope we have a good year.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Mike Abram said...

Rob
One of our FW barometer farmers, Tony Reynolds, uses a Bertini. Not sure whether you came across him while you were in the UK, but he's a great guy to talk to. I can get you a number if you want to speak to him.
Regards
Mike Abram (FW Arable)

Robert Egerton-Warburton said...

Thanks Mike, I'm leaving to come to the UK and Ireland tomorrow, if you could forward the details that would be great. Cheers Rob

Mike said...

Ask your fellow UK (FW) Nuffield scholar to ask James Andrews for Tony Reynolds details. (I'm on holiday for the next week). Have a great time here in the UK!

Caroline said...

You lost me at parallelogram.

At least you've found another arable geek to humour you. Thanks, Mike ;)

M said...

Hey Rob! R u still in UK or on your way back yet?